Re: P4 problem with 2.4.3

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 10:32:08 EST

> dies at the line "cpu:0, clocks:0, slice:0". It also says something about
> "wierd, boot kernel (CPU#0) not found in BIOS. " There is also a message

This message is printed when the kernel finds it is running on a processor
not listed in the MP table. Basically your machine seems to have broken MP
tables.

What is happening is something like this

        Kernel: Find MP table
                        Ok We have CPUs 1 and 2
                        We have PCI
                        We have etc...

        Kernel: What CPU number are you
        CPU: Im CPU 0
        Kernel: but you dont exist..

                ** boom **

Try booting with 'noapic' and also send a report to Ingo Molnar as he may want
to double check the table is wrong not the kernel code.

2.2 doesn't use the APIC on non SMP boxes so won't notice the problem.