Re: CML2 1.0.0 release announcement

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@caldera.de)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 15:27:22 EST

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:16:36PM +0200, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
> > > CML2 takes around 15 seconds before I get that far.
> > > This is on an Athlon 800 w/512MB. I dread to think how this
> > > responds on a 486.
> >
> > If you look for something _even_ faster try mconfig. For everyone who is
> > interested, I've put my latests half-way stable version is on ftp. It's at
> > ftp.openlinux.org:/pub/people/hch/mconfig/mconfig-0.19-pre1.tar.gz
> > Props for all the hard work go to Michael Elizabeth Chastain!
>
> This is the first I've heard of mconfig. (I don't track the kbuild list)
> Does it solve all the problems that Eric's solution proposes?
> It's certainly fast (CML1 menuconfig speed at least).

Not all (yet).
o It is one programm with multiple frontends:
        old,
        text,
        ncurses,
        random,
        maximum,
        minimum,
        syntax checking
        (X is still missing as my brain is not made for GUI programming)

o An 'show me all options and handle the rest' mode is still missing -
  my devel tree has something like that in the works, but I'll probably
  never finish it now that CML2 is official.

o it still has multiple top-level config.in. Again that is easily fixable
  and in fact I did a patch for it (including {old,menu,x}config support
  in 2.3 times but never submitted it.

Something missing?

        Christoph