Re: PCI oddities on Dell Inspiron 5000e w/ 2.4.x (also latitude)

From: Andrea Venturi (a.venturi@nextra.it)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 12:09:05 EST

hi,

sorry to bother you all...

i would like to follow up this thread because, i have too this strange
effect that with kernel 2.4.2 i'm no more able to use the pcmcia
interface (and with 2.2.17 it was ok!).

i tried to make some troubleshooting to the best of my knowledge but i
lost myself when, last email, Jeff Lessem ended saying that, just using
lilo (and not grub) the problem went away.. but is he still speaking of
the pcmcia problem?

i am using:

- a dell latitude cpx h450 (bios a07)
- 256 MB of ram
- lilo (without any mem append option)
- with 2.2.17 pcmcia is working well
- with 2.4.2 and external pcmcia-cs 3.1.24 no (i have never been able to
load the i82365.o module)

you can find in attach my dmesg and the output of "lspci -vvxxx -s03:00"
that are my pci entries of the pcmcia adapter (hope not to be a mistake
posting a couple of small bin attach) and the relevant message is:

 Intel PCIC probe: PCI: Enabling device 00:03.0 (0000 -> 0002)
 PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:03.0
 PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:03.1
 PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:07.2

   Bridge register mapping failed: check cb_mem_base setting not found.

i tried to add the cb_mem_base parameter loading pcmcia_core but in the
pci_fixup.c source is commented out when you use a >= 2.3.24 kernel, so
this line fails:

  insmod pcmcia_core cb_mem_base=0x10000000

could someone kindly shed some light!?

sorry, i'm not subscribed to lkml so, please, cc. to me, otherwise, i
will check the answers on the ml archive.

thank you in advance

andrea venturi

--
andrea venturi - Nextra spa
a.venturi@nextra.it - +390516139246

-- "If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"