2.4.0-ac9 works, but slower and swappier

From: Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 19:39:53 EST

I've been running 2.4.0-ac9 for a day and a half now.

I have pretty low-end hardware (Pentium 1/ 100MHz, 16Mb RAM,
17Mb swap) and it really seems to bog down with anything
heavy in memory. Netscape seems to really drag, and any
Java applets I encounter positively crawl -- you can see
the individual widgets being drawn.

My previous kernel was 240-ac4, and it was fine.

Oh, one other thing...cat /proc/filesystems shows:

nodev sockfs
nodev swapfs
nodev shm
nodev pipefs
nodev proc
        ext2
nodev devpts

I thought swapfs _replaces_ shm? I mention this because
my startup scripts mount'ed shm the way it always does.
I figured it'd fail because shm wouldnt be there. I've
since disabled that.

So, mount swapfs to /dev/shm, and leave the shm filesystem
unmounted? Go back to the way it was before (mounting to
/var/shm) ??

W/ swapfs (only) mounted, MITSHM apps like MpegTV, Virtual
Gameboy, Xanim, etc. seem to work okay.

--
Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com