Re: QUESTION: Network hangs with BP6 and 2.4.x kernels, hardware related?

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 09:35:31 EST

frank@unternet.org said:
> No, I'm judging based on the fact that I found reports from people
> using NE2K-PCI with several cards as well as tulip-based cards
> (different driver) on abit BP6 as well as Gigabyte motherboards,
> mostly on 2.3.x/2.4.x kernels. I found some postings with these
> problems on 2.2.x kernels.

IRQ 19 on my BP6 stopped arriving a few days ago.

 19: 90373 90473 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci

Removing and reloading the usb-uhci driver didn't help. Loading the uhci
driver just oopsed, which seems to be its normal behaviour on the occasions
on which I try it.

Rebooting fixed it. I was half tempted to code a 'kick APIC because I think
it broke' function, but then decided not to bother.

It might be nice in 2.5 to give drivers some way of kicking the APIC when
they think they've missed an interrupt, much like the network code kicks
the driver. And to deal more gracefully with IRQ storms.

Once a driver has a way of saying "Oi! Why isn't IRQ x working?" it would
be feasible to just disable the damn thing if we receive a million of them
in rapid succession.

--
dwmw2