Linux driver: __get_free_pages()

From: Paul Powell (moloch16@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 15:39:33 EST

Our driver is trying to allocate a DMA buffer to flash
an adapter's firmware. This can require as much as
512K ( of contiguous DMA memory ). We are using the
function __get_free_pages( GFP_KERNEL | GFP_DMA, order
) . The call is failing if 'order' is greater than 6.
The problem is seen on systems with system memory of
only 64MB. It works fine on systems with more memory.
 Does it make sense that a system with 64MB would not
have 512K ( contiguous ) available? The most that can
be allocated successfully on the 64MB system appears
to be 256K. (Nothing else is running that would eat
up 64MB of memory).

Does this make sense and/or is there another way that
the DMA memory could be allocated successfully?