Re: IDE DMA problems on 2.4.0 with vt82c686a driver

From: dep (dennispowell@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 09:38:26 EST

On Thursday 11 January 2001 08:33 am, James Brents wrote:

| Since this looks like either a chipset, drive, or driver problem, I
| am submitting this.
| I have recently started using DMA mode on my harddisk. However, I
| occasionally (not often/constant, but sometimes) get CRC errors:
| hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
| hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

welcome to the club. if you are given an answer off-list to this, i'd
love a copy, because i've had the same issue for six months now. some
have said that it's crosstalk in the cable -- in which case, all
three of the 80-conductor cables i've tried are insufficiently
shielded and we're in need of premium 80-conductor cables. and i
found this in the november 200 linux journal, page 82, last
paragraph, in an article on the ultimate linux box written by don
marti:

"earlier this year, kernel hacker andre hedrick, the maintainer of
linux's ide driver, tracked a user's problem to the fact that western
digital drives don't do error checking correctly. he posted to
linux-kernel, 'wdc drives blow off the crc check of udma . . . . this
is bad and stupid.' western digital fired back on their web site
with, 'if there's a problem using these drives in linux the problem
most likely lies with the software driver and not the hard drive
itself.' i'm going to believe the kernel hacker over the hardware
vendor and stay away from western digital drives for awhile."

this suggests a.) that we need to gently pressure the w.d. people to
come up with a fix or provide the specs necessary to fashion one --
the latter being preferable -- and b.) that we need to figure out
some sort of hack that does -- what? in my experience, these error
messages actually signify nothing, but they're using up cycles. can
they be safely supressed? beats me. but they sold a hell of a lot of
these things.

though i've noticed that the problem seems to be limited to those of
us who have via chipset motherboards, suggesting that it is limited
to that chipset, that chipset is ubiquitous, or via chipset
motherboard owners are generally the complaining type. no idea which
applies there, either.

--
dep