USB Keyboards for x86/uhci in 2.4- kernels?

From: Benson Chow (blc@q.dyndns.org)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 01:55:14 EST

Anyone tried using these beasts on a x86?

Anyway, what's happening: In BIOS my USB keyboard works really poorly -
it almost seems scancodes get dropped left and right. Ok, so I don't mind
too much, i'm sure BIOS has a very limited driver. After booting
Microsoft's offerring, it would work fine after it installs its driver.
I also tried this same keyboard on a HPUX Visualize C3600 workstation and
it also works nicely.

However linux would never fix this "scancode drop" syndrome even after
PIIX3 USB motherboard exhibit this usb keyboard strangeness
with the hid or usbkbd driver is installed. I think the PIIX3
motherboard's bios doesnt handle USB properly so it doesn't even work in
BIOS setup. Any idea what's going on? Is there some other driver or
utility I need to install/run to get it working? Maybe just my bad bios?

BTW: my USB Mouse, and USB Printer seem to work nicely in 2.4.0-release.

USB KBD: NMB USB 104-key PC-Style
USB Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse w/Intellieye 1.0, Logitech Optical Wheel
USB Printer: HP Deskjet 880C
USB Hub: Belkin 4-port
Intel 82437SB(?) PIIX3 and Via 82C686(?) USB controller

Working: Stock HPUX10.2 HP Visualize C3600 PARISC2 Workstation
Working: Microsoft Windows 98 First Edition on the Via.

Thanks!
-bc