[Fwd: Learn from minix: fork ramfs.] - linus's ACTUAL reply.

From: Rob Landley (landley@flash.net)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 18:19:59 EST

Okay, the sleep situation has not improved. I'll admit that right now.
But it's ABOUT to. G'night...

Rob

attached mail follows:

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Rob Landley wrote:

> So fork ramfs already. Copy the snapshot you like as an educational
> tool, call it skeletonfs.c or some such, and let the current code evolve
> into something more useful.

The thing is, that I'm not sure that even the extended ramfs is really
useful except for very controlled environments (ie initrd-type things
where the contents of the ramdisk is _controlled_, and as such the
addition of limits is not necessarily all that useful a feature). Others
have spoken up on why tmpfs isn't a good thing either, with good
arguments.

So it's not all about teaching.

I think the ramfs limit code has a good argument from Alan for embedded
devices, so that probably will make it in. However, even so it's obviously
not a 2.4.1 issue, AND as shown by the fact that apparently the thing is
buggy and still worked on I wouldn't want the patches right now in the
first place.

                Linus