Re: Mount system call hangs up the system

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 08:22:06 EST

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 05:47:10PM +0530, sswapnee@in.ibm.com wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> I am trying to mount a filesystem on Linux 2.4.0-test10 kernel using the
> mount() function.
> When I call this function the system just hangs up. I have to restart
> linux by switching off and on.
> Can somebody tell me why mount call just hangs? Is there anyway to take a
> dump when
> the call is being executed.

If you have a second computer available, I highly recommend using kgdbstub
which can be found on sourceforge. This gives you source level debugging in
the kernel. Just put a breakpoint in sys_mount(), or whatever it is called
and see what happens.

Linus is dead set against using a debugger in daily development but it is a
very valuable tool for quickly gaining insight.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People