Re: [OT] Re: Linus's include file strategy redux

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 03:08:06 EST

[ferret@phonewave.net <ferret@phonewave.net>]
> I have not moved or deleted a tree. I do not HAVE a kernel tree in
> the first place. Therefore, nothing for the symlink to point to when
> I install the kernel.

If this is not the machine you compile your kernels on, why are you
compiling your external modules on it?

In any case, at the very least you need a copy of the appropriate
kernel headers. Some distributions have packages for these to match
their kernel image packages. If that's where you got yours, the
packaging should have included the build/ symlink. If it doesn't, file
a bug. And incidentally, also file one if the "kernel headers" package
doesn't come with Makefile, Rules.make, arch/$ARCH/Makefile and
.config . (Those four are very useful for getting your settings right
when compiling external modules.)

If you installed the headers *without* any infrastructure support from
a distribution, then once again I don't think you need "External Module
Compiling for Dummies", and all of the above is *your* job.

Peter