Re: Linus's include file strategy redux

From: Werner Almesberger (Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 18:56:58 EST

Joe deBlaquiere wrote:
> but actually the best thing about it is
> that the compiler people of the work might make generating a proper
> cross-toolchain less difficult by one or two magnitudes...

You have a point here ... particularly gcc-glibc interdependencies are
a little irritating (not sure if they still cause build failures - they
were great fun in egcs-1.1b)

> This way I can upgrade my host system from RH6.2 to RH7 and not worry
> about compiler differences affecting my kernel builds for the various
> projects I'm working on... including systems based on 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4...

Ah, you mean you _do_ use a different compiler, but you _don't_ have to
change the compiler you normally invoke with "gcc" ? I see.

> If anybody thinks gcc-2.96 messes up a 2.4 kernel, you should see what
> happens when you compile 2.0.33 ;o).

I think a -Wall-as-of=2.7.2 might be convenient at times ;-)

- Werner (drifting off-topic :-( )