Re: Linus's include file strategy redux

From: Joe deBlaquiere (jadb@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 17:58:39 EST

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Joe deBlaquiere wrote:
>
>> My solution to this has always been to make a cross compiler environment
>

> ;-))) I think lots of people would really enjoy to have "build a
> cross-gcc" added to the prerequisites for installing some driver
> module ;-)
>
> I know, it's not *that* bad. But it still adds quite a few possible
> points of failure. Also, it adds a fair amount of overhead to any
> directory name change or creation of a new kernel tree.

might be a good newbie filter... but actually the best thing about it is
that the compiler people of the work might make generating a proper
cross-toolchain less difficult by one or two magnitudes...

>> The other advantage to this is that I can switch my host environment
>> (within reason - compatible host glibcs, ok) and not have to change the
>> target compiler.
>

> Hmm, I don't quite understand what you mean here.

This way I can upgrade my host system from RH6.2 to RH7 and not worry
about compiler differences affecting my kernel builds for the various
projects I'm working on... including systems based on 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4...

If anybody thinks gcc-2.96 messes up a 2.4 kernel, you should see what
happens when you compile 2.0.33 ;o).

--
Joe deBlaquiere
Red Hat, Inc.