Re: test12 lockups -- need feedback

From: mike@kre8tive.org
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 13:50:15 EST

I have a DLink DFE-530TX+ with a RTL8139 and I lock up cold
every once in a while too. 2.4.0-test12-pre3 is the latest
kernel I've tried. The machine is a dual PII450 on a Tyan
Tiger 100 BX board w/ 128MB.

Locks up cold meaning "It's dead Jim". Non sysrq facilities
available and no Oops trail.

I don't see the old Becker 8139 driver in the 2.4 tree so
I don't know if it happens with 2.4 and the old driver.

I can provide what ever info that is available and would
be useful.

NOTE also: I have an old Dell P133 48MB masquerading machine
with 2 of these same boards that Panic's on current 2.4
kernels with the "Aieee killing interrupt handler" message
to the console but doesn't get around to writing the console
to the log before going toe up. 2.4.0-test12-pre3. Before
that I get a bunch of the RxFIFOOwv interrupt sending it
into the rtl8139_weird_interrupt routine, but it says
in the driver code that this could be related to CPU speed
and the machine's a P133. Should the machine panic though?

I can't get the console off to the serial port cause the
ports are dead on this machine for some reason. The BIOS
allocates irq 4 to the second of the 8139 cards and neither
serial port is recognised so I'm not sure how to get any
major chunk of the Panic info off teh 14" screen. Note
that this machine runs 2.2.18 fine albiet my OnStream
drive doesn't function right so maybe the old Becker driver
does solve some of the problems. Arg! =)

-mwe

--
Mike Elmore
mike@kre8tive.org

"Never confuse activity with accomplishment." -unknown