Is there a Linux trademark issue with sun?

From: Rob Landley (telomerase@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 21:27:30 EST

Heads up everybody. Scott McNealy has apparently been
calling Solaris Sun's implementation of Linux.
Trademark violation time.

The article's here:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-14-020-04-NW-CY

Quick quote:

>When asked by a reporter why Sun's new clustering
>software was restricted to Solaris and not available
>on Linux, McNealy's aggravation seemed to peak. "You
>people just don't get it, do you? All Linux
>applications run on Solaris, which is our
>implementation of Linux. Now ask the question again,"

Assuming the quote is accurate (which, being ZD, is
iffy), this strikes me as a mondo trademark violation,
and exactly the sort of thing the Linux trademark was
designed to prevent. Solaris is NOT Linux.

That's just my opinion, of course, but I wanted to
make sure everybody was aware of the situation...

Rob

(Yes, it finally happened. The Unix idiots have now
"protected" the trademark "Unix" to the point where
Linux is now a more valuable name to be associated
with. But turnabout IS fair play. And they know the
rules if they want to participate. Add in the MS
profit warning and IBM's billion dollar pledge to our
little PBS station and it's been a good week...)