RE: Signal 11

From: Rainer Mager (rmager@vgkk.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 18:24:00 EST

(This message contains a number of related replies.)

> From: Mike Galbraith [mailto:mikeg@wen-online.de]
> Is init permanently running after you see a couple of these?

No, that is, after 23 hours up time it has used only 6 seconds CPU time
(according to top).

That reminds me that I should repeat that my signal 11 problem has (so far)
only caused X to die. The OS remains up and stable.

> From: davej@suse.de [mailto:davej@suse.de]
> My troublesome box finally seems to be stable.[...]I disabled DRM
> & AGPGart. With them both disabled, I get no problems at all.
> No Sig11's, No Sig4's, No lockups.
>
> This box has a Voodoo3 3000 AGP..

I suppose I can try this too. My box has a Matrox G400. BTW, what is DRM?
Direct Rendering something?

> From: CMA [mailto:cma@mclink.it]
> Did you already try to selectively disable L1 and L2 caches (if
> your box has both) and see what happens?

I'll look into this as well. Anyone have any pointers on how to do this? I
have a Tyan Tiger 133 with Award BIOS if this helps/matters.

Even if this setting does make a difference, what does this tell me/us? I
don't consider running the box with disabled cache(s) a viable solution.

Thanks all and keep those suggestions coming.

--Rainer