Re: swapoff weird

From: David Ford (david@linux.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 17:41:44 EST

> I can't swapoff. Therefore filesystem is busy (it must be -- kernel
> might be writing to file on it!). And no way to get out of that.

It's busy because some portion of memory is in use. manually kill things as
best you can. this will clean out the swap. once you've gotten all
applications killed cleanly you can forcibly reboot with little damage. this
is pretty much the only way out. we don't have any method (currently) to
turn off a swap file if it's deleted.

Some ideas for the future, /var/run/swap.inode files, some form of sysctl.

-d