Re: swapoff weird

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 17:06:15 EST

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > It is possible to remove swapfile in use. Great, but how do you
> > swap off then? Who is to blame?
>
> As usual, root is to blame ;)

I do not agree. It is too easy to get to situation like this.

> > root@bug:~# swapoff /tmp/swap
> > swapoff: /tmp/swap: No such file or directory
> > root@bug:~# > /tmp/swap
> > root@bug:~# swapoff /tmp/swap
> > swapoff: /tmp/swap: Invalid argument
> > root@bug:~#
>
> Don't let your automatic /tmp cleaners remove the swap
> file ;)
>
> > How do I get out of this bad situation?
>
> Reboot.

I'm afraid even reboot will not work.

I can't swapoff. Therefore filesystem is busy (it must be -- kernel
might be writing to file on it!). And no way to get out of that.

--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)!		Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+