2.4.0-test12pre4: parport / lp problems

From: Henrik Størner (henrik@storner.dk)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 15:33:48 EST

I discovered yesterday that printing does not work in 2.4.0-test12-pre4.

This is a pretty stock PC system with a printer on the parallel port.
Both parport and lp is compiled into the kernel - and the parport
appears to be detected OK, but the lp driver for some reason refuses
to use it:

[snip /var/log/dmesg]
Starting kswapd v1.8
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP]
parport0: irq 7 detected
[later]
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
parport0: no more devices allowed
lp: driver loaded but no devices found

In lilo, I have tried different configuration parameters. The current
setup has no parport or lp settings, but I have also tried
  "parport=0x378,7 lp=parport0"
with no apparent effect. This setting used to work in earlier 2.4
configurations (cannot say exactly which worked and which didn't).

Kernel config:

#
# Parallel port support
#