Re: KERNEL BUG: console not working in linux

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 13:14:11 EST

Followup to: <20001128103352.A377@fourier.home.intranet>
By author: Gianluca Anzolin <g.anzolin@inwind.it>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> |No, the problem is the utterly braindamaged way the motherboard chose to
> |enable/disable it (*especially* if it's PCI... sheech, port 92h isn't
> |exactly something new in that timeframe.)
> |
> |What PC/motherboard is this, anyway?
>
> It's an olivetti, but maybe they bought the mainboard elsewhere I don't
> know. Anyway you can find the lspci -xvv in
> http://www.gest.unipd.it/~iig0573/lspci.txt

It's not "an Olivetti", it has a model number and God Knows What.
>From the looks of it they are using a 440FX chipset, which definitely
does not have this problem inherently (and almost certainly handles
port 92h correctly), so whomever wired up this motherboard was even
more of an idiot that I first thought.

If I were you I would take it back and demand a refund. It isn't a PC
you have there.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt