Re: Oops with 2.4.0-test10 during ripping an audio cd with cdda2wav

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 23:18:29 EST

On Fri, Nov 10 2000, Bernd Nottelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure, if this is a reiserfs related issue, so I send this Oops
> report both to the kernel mailing list and to the reiserfs people
> (kernel has been patched with reiserfs-3.6.18).
>
> During ripping the last song from a cd (a long time song of 9.50 min)
> I was wondering about the time consumption of this process.
> After the cdda2wav process had been finished I found the following
> oops:
>

> ---------------------- starts here ----------------------
> ksymoops 2.3.5 on i686 2.4.0-test10. Options used
> -V (default)
> -k /proc/ksyms (default)
> -l /proc/modules (default)
> -o /lib/modules/2.4.0-test10/ (default)
> -m /usr/src/linux/System.map (default)
>
> Warning: You did not tell me where to find symbol information. I will
> assume that the log matches the kernel and modules that are running
> right now and I'll use the default options above for symbol resolution.
> If the current kernel and/or modules do not match the log, you can get
> more accurate output by telling me the kernel version and where to find
> map, modules, ksyms etc. ksymoops -h explains the options.
>
> kernel BUG at slab.c:1542!

[snip]

This looks like cdrom.c:mmc_ioctl, CDROMREADAUDIO, kmalloc'ing too
much memory, which triggers the BUG() in slab.c. I'm not quite sure
how this is happening though, unless cdda2wav sets a negative ra.nframes
(a quick browse on a version I have here shows it does not, maybe you
have a different version).

Is it reproducable? If so, could you try with this patch?

> (Maybe I should mention that the kernel has been compiled with
> gcc-2.95.2, but I think, it is not very important.)

Could be...

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
* SuSE Labs