Re: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 01:05:05 EST

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Note that if there really are only 9 "nopage" routines, then it is a lot
> easier to just add the single "SetPageUptodate(page)" into those 9
> routines, and thus let the VM know of the race.

Works for me. And yes, the list of ->nopage instances that can return
success is that short:
        drm_vm_shm_nopage
        drm_vm_shm_nopage_lock
        drm_vm_dma_nopage
        sgi_graphics_nopage
        via_mm_nopage
        ncp_file_mmap_nopage
        shm_nopage
        shmzero_nopage
        filemap_nopage
- sorry, it's not 9+filemap_nopage, it's 8+filemap_nopage.

However, it still leaves a window for the race: we invalidate first and
remove from pagetables later. And ClearPageUptodate() is obviously
truncate_inode_pages() work. Grr...