Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 02:56:05 EST

acahalan@cs.uml.edu (Albert D. Cahalan) wrote:
> In spite of that, it should be considered. It allows this:
>
> $ ls -log /proc/self/fd
> total 0
> lrwx------ 1 acahalan 64 Sep 21 09:12 0 -> /dev/pts/4
> lrwx------ 1 acahalan 64 Sep 21 09:12 1 -> /dev/pts/4
> lrwx------ 1 acahalan 64 Sep 21 09:12 2 -> /dev/pts/4
> lrwx------ 1 acahalan 64 Sep 21 09:12 3 -> mutex:[720429]
> lrwx------ 1 acahalan 64 Sep 21 09:12 4 -> event:[592]
> lr-x------ 1 acahalan 64 Sep 21 09:12 5 -> /proc/14527/fd

There's another minor problem with using fd's as handles... Windows expects
the handle number to be a multiple of 4, and sometimes, probably only on rare
occasions, uses the bottom two bits to pass extra information. I was flicking
through the Native API reference last night, and came across a couple of
instances. I don't know whether this ever applies to Win32, though.

David Howells