Re: test9-pre1 hang when loading scsi-ide cdrom

From: Torben Mathiasen (tmm@image.dk)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 08:20:17 EST

On Sun, Sep 17 2000, Frank van de Pol wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 07:27:01PM +0200, Frank van de Pol wrote:
> >
> > Just experienced a (reproducable) hang of the system when loading the
> > drivers for my cdrom drives. (ide-cd and ide-scsi). System freezes
> > completely; interupts / alt-sysreq is still working.
> >
> > Just before the lockup I get next message on my console:
> >
> > "
> > scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> > scsi : 2 hosts.
> > Vendor: E-IDE Model: CD-ROM 36X/AKU Rev: U21I
> > Type: CD-ROM
> > ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> > "
> > <lockup....>
>
> I tried to compile the sr_mod without the __init & __exit but this did (as
> expected) to cure the problem.
>
> The problem seems to reside in the ide-scsi driver; if the cdrom (sr_mod) is
> not loaded, I get during initialisation of the ide-scsi module a lockup
> after printing the information about the 1st host (dies after the 'Type:
> CDROM' line). Probing the 2nd host seems to fail.

When did this start to happen? I sustect this is something similar to what has
been happening with sd because of the module_init/exit stuff.

Some people are seeing lockups because of the sd changes, going back to init_module
cures it. The problems is within the scsi subsystem itself.

Could you try reverting the init_sr/exit_sr to init_module/cleanup_module and
removing module_init/exit please?

--
Torben Mathiasen <tmm@image.dk>
Linux ThunderLAN maintainer