Re: Very aggressive swapping after 2 hours rest

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 12:40:29 EST

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to use that extra 16mb for process memory more than I would
> > for cache. When most of my programs get loaded up, it totals to around 24mb on
> > average, and medium-to-low disk access is used. I like the way it is now, where
> > it won't start swapping unless a process starts eating up memory quickly, or a
> > process starts to do a lot of disk access.
>
> I do agree that processes that start up and never get 'touched'
> again should definitely get swapped out, but only when system
> ram is nearing the low point. At this point, processes who
> haven't used memory the longest should get swapped.

This is one of the things I'm thinking about at the moment.
Doing something like this should make the VM run a bit more
smooth at the moment the system would have just started
swapping, and the "kick in" of swap wouldn't be as sudden
as it is now.

> Also, one other thing I noticed (in the old VM, haven't noticed
> it on my 32mb machine yet) is that when processes get swapped
> out, doing a 'ps -aux' prints the SWAP values correctly as '0'.
> But doing a consecutive 'ps' shows these processes as '4'. Is
> there something new in recent kernels that getting process
> states actually has to access a page of the process's RAM? Just
> curious.

Shared glibc pages which are still in active use by other
processes aren't swapped out. As long as somebody is still
using this page actively we won't swap it out anyway, so
we might as well keep it mapped in the page table of every
process which references it ...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/