Re: Very aggressive swapping after 2 hours rest

From: Byron Stanoszek (gandalf@winds.org)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 12:33:44 EST

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Byron Stanoszek wrote:

> I'd like to be able to use that extra 16mb for process memory more than I would
> for cache. When most of my programs get loaded up, it totals to around 24mb on
> average, and medium-to-low disk access is used. I like the way it is now, where
> it won't start swapping unless a process starts eating up memory quickly, or a
> process starts to do a lot of disk access.

I do agree that processes that start up and never get 'touched' again should
definitely get swapped out, but only when system ram is nearing the low point.
At this point, processes who haven't used memory the longest should get
swapped. For example, I have 24 /sbin/mingetty processes that listen on that
32mb system. Most of the time, except when I'm _really_ busy, I only use 6. :-)

Also, one other thing I noticed (in the old VM, haven't noticed it on my 32mb
machine yet) is that when processes get swapped out, doing a 'ps -aux' prints
the SWAP values correctly as '0'. But doing a consecutive 'ps' shows these
processes as '4'. Is there something new in recent kernels that getting process
states actually has to access a page of the process's RAM? Just curious.

 -Byron

--
Byron Stanoszek                         Ph: (330) 644-3059
Systems Programmer                      Fax: (330) 644-8110