2.4.0-test4&6 scsi tape problem

From: G. Saraber (gsaraber@rarcoa.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 12:38:49 EST

Hi,

I'm using a sony 12/24GB scsi tape drive on an adaptec scsi controller
(on the mainboard)
"SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7890/1 (rev 0)."

When i'm using the 2.4.0-test4 or test6 kernels and I run a backup
either with tar or with amanda it stops after about 2GB with a tape i/o
error, and "mt offline" won't release the tape, I have to reboot to get
it out ..
even the button on the tapedrive itself won't release the tape.
All of this works fine with linux-2.2.16, this is a Dual PII-400 with
256M memory, two 4.5G LVD drives (which seem to work fine under any
kernel) and one 9GB ide drive. the Scsi controller is on the Asus
mainboard (as i said before) .
If you need more info, or I forgot something, or if you want me to test
something, just drop me a line ..

On a completely unrelated sidenote, how do you debug deadlocks ? My
computer seems to hardlock itself on a fairly regular basis when messing
with my USB webcam.. It got so irritating that i'm ready to debug it
myself, or at least identify the problem, but i have no idea where to
start, any information/websites/tools etc. would be very much
appreciated..

ps. please CC me on any replies if possible

Thanks,
Gerard Saraber
gsaraber@rarcoa.com
http://www.rarcoa.com