Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 19:54:44 EST

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> a. The shared VM changes. If it hurts, don't do that. No bloat here.
> b. All other threads get killed. This is POSIX-friendly.
> c. Force an unclone(~0) to go with the exec. Can do setuid CGI.
>
> Doing unclone(CLONE_MM) is lame. Unclone all or none.

Screw POSIX, but why do you want to unclone everything? Components are
independent. Really. I can see the point in unclone(CLONE_FILES) _if_
there was close-on-exec. I can see the point in unclone(CLONE_FS) upon
personality change (had to do that during the namei rewrite - alternative
root depends on personality and it's clearly a part of fs_struct). But
what, in the name of Cthulhu, makes us unclone() everything, no matter
whether we need it or not? E.g. would you really want to get an
independent namespace upon exec()? Goodby mount(8)...