Re: Shared Memory in 2.4.0-test6 and test7

From: Michael Bielicki (Michael.Bielicki@Parmastocks.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 00:04:26 EST

ipcs -lm:

------ Shared Memory Limits --------
max number of segments = 4096
max seg size (kbytes) = 32768
max total shared memory (kbytes) = 8388608
min seg size (bytes) = 0

ipcs -m:

------ Shared Memory Segments --------
key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status
0x00280267 32769 root 644 1048576 7
0x07021999 65538 root 644 16 8
0x52564801 98307 root 660 17899520 0
0x52564802 131076 root 660 516096 0
0x52564803 163845 root 660 1048576 0
0x52564804 196614 root 660 1048576 0
0x52564805 229383 root 666 1130496 0
0x52564806 262152 root 660 1048576 0
0x52564807 294921 root 660 1048576 0

[root@dbserver bin]# strace -e shmget,shmctl,shmat,shmdt oninit -i

This action will initialize Informix Dynamic Server;
any existing Informix Dynamic Server databases will NOT be accessible -
Do you wish to continue (y/n)? y
oninit: Fatal error in shared memory creation
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) ---

Could it be that the max shared memory is too small ?
but /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax = 335544320

whu does ipcs -lm shows a different max size ??

best regards

Michael Bielicki