Re: compiling modules later, after changing the configuration of the kernel

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 14:06:31 EST

Hi Bert,

> Now, I was wondering, is this supposed to work, retroactively changing
> the configuration of your kernel, and creating new modules?

It does not work today. The resident kernel has many places that
test whether CONFIG_*_MODULE is defined. I count 378 of these tests
in 2.4.0-test5.

    files_chS=$(find * -type -name '*.[chS]' -print)
    echo $files_chS | xargs grep "CONFIG_[A-Za-z0-9_]*_MODULE" | less

When someone, maybe me, gets around to documenting the kernel build
procedure from the user point of view, they need to mention this.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"