ifconfig device down

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 13:14:57 EST

Hello network gurus!

To make a clean reboot of a remote embedded system, I need to have
<somebody> send a FIN to every connected hosts. In an interactive
system, init usually kills all the tasks, which forces an exit().
The kernel then closes all the sockets/fd's, etc. This usually is
sufficient to have most of the connected hosts disconnect before
the server crashes. This seems to be more time-related than anything
else.

In this embedded system, my home-made init does a kill(-1, 9) before
it reboots, but this is not sufficient. No FINs are sent to connected
hosts even if I sleep() a second after this.

Also, the equivalent of `ifconfig eth0 down` does not close these
sockets. I haven't mucked with routing yet.

Does anybody know if there is a socket call (or any other way), to
tell the network to disconnect __everybody__ __now__?

The connected hosts do disconnect after the embedded system reboots.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.