Re: RFC: design for new VM

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 10:15:25 EST

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Carrer Yuri wrote:

> I don't understand why the VM subsystem is the only one to have

We need threads for flushing dirty cache to disk over the time. Only the
VM/FS/VFS code deals with _dirty_ cache.

Other things have other kind of needs (like nfs etc..etc...) and they have
threads as well (kmod for some usec is a kernel thread too).

We launch kupdate/flushd as default because on 99% of the systems
everybody someway writes to disk eventually. (if your root (and only)
filesystem is ramfs/cramfs [like it could be on an embedded device] you
can as well turn them off.

> k* threads :-) I mean... what about vfs threads? Why they don't exists?

kupdate/kflushd also flushes the vfs dirty cache to disk ;).

Andrea