Re: kupdate, high CPU usage

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 15:19:55 EST

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Jeroen Geusebroek wrote:

> Could someone explain what kupdate and kflushd do? I have a
> strange problem, when i ftp to my server, i get like 6500Kb/s
> for the first then seconds. That's the same speed i get to
> another server on the same subnet.
>
> But within a few seconds the CPS suddenly drops to 2500kb/s and
> when i look at the server i see that kupdate takes 80% of the
> cpu usage.

This is expected behaviour. After memory is filled with
dirty buffers, the programs writing to disk are slowed
down to disk speeds.

> I tried to disable kupdate ( i searched the mailinglist on how
> to do that ) kflushd had the same behaviour.

*sigh* ;)

> Coould some explain what could be causing the trouble? I'm using
> the 2.2.16 kernel.

You're slowed down to 2500kb/s either because the disk isn't
faster or because you forgot to use hdparm to switch your
drive to DMA mode...

cheers,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/