Equal-cost multipath question

From: Ian Eure (ieure@insynq.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:49:25 EST

** please cc to my address, since i'm not subscribed to the list.

Hi there. I have a question regarding the behavior of equal-cost multipath
in the 2.2.x kernel series.

I'm trying to set up a system with >1 link to it's local network, in case
of an ethernet adapter failure. I have three 3Com 905 NICs in the system,
all with a different ip on the same subnet.

I start a ping to a host on the localnet. Works fine. I unplug the eth0
interface, which those packets are going out of. Packets stop sending, and
are not sent through any of the remaining interfaces.

It seems that ackets are be directed to the first route with the lowest
metric. In the case of >1 route with the same metric, traffic is always
sent to the first route. If this is the case, what it the point of even
having ECMP?

Perhaps I must use gated/zebra or some other routing daemon?