Re: ext3-0.0.2e released

From: Juan J. Quintela (quintela@fi.udc.es)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:21:44 EST

>>>>> "daniel" == Daniel Phillips <news-list.linux.kernel@innominate.de> writes:

Hi

daniel> Phase tree is my terminology. In my previous post I failed to mention a much
daniel> bigger reason why phase tree is not shadow paging: phase tree does not use a
daniel> shadow page table. Instead, it uses a tree where the differences between one
daniel> commit phase and the next generate a minimal set of new nodes, and only these
daniel> need to be written to disk.

If you have a good implementation of shadow paging, you are supposed
to write to disk the minimun amount of data possible, i.e. only the
things that have changed/are new. The method of writing the new data
to free blocks and then change only the root is a known and used
mechanism in shadow page implementations.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy