Re: 2GIG-file

From: marek@foundmoney.com
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:08:23 EST

This is very simple matter to me, hey Iv been programming for Linux, DOS and
$3.11 a long time ago. My experience tells me that LFS(and from what I read
about it) is that there is a fine guide line on what you can use with LFS.
Frankly I think LFS is ok, but for a high volume site I think I am better of
with 2.3.99-pre9 or 2.4.test5. I could use LFS but who will support it ? At
least in the dev kernels, there's always linux-kernel mailing list with allot of
good folks eager to fix things up quickly.
My object here is to spend as little time as possible and getting this thing to
work in Linux. I have had it with NT. After $$$,$$$ with M$ I am completely
switching to Linux :) :) :) :) :) :) and all of the sudden I can sleep at night.

Currently I am using 2.3.99-pre9 with mysql, loaded the DB fine into it, now I'm
indexing it.

Of course I could use postgres as that one splits into 2gig files, but then
there comes the performance issue.

Any suggestion as to using 2.3.99 or 2.4.test5, any recommendations are greatly
appreciated :)

BTW I already found a person who claims that there is a problem with LFS, he
claims he did submit the patch to scydel but he is unaware if they have
implemented it or if they have any plans doing so. Don't get me wrong here I do
not wish to bash LFS or anything.

THx.