Re: 2GIG-file

From: David Lombard (david.lombard@mscsoftware.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 13:03:35 EST

marek@foundmoney.com wrote:

> I have a 3.4 Gig file(on NT) that I need to import into a database on
> unix machine, RH6.2, knowing there's a limitation of 2 GIG how would you
>
> suggest I do this ?,

Use a kernel supporting "large files". Two possibilities are:

2.4 kernel

2.2.x kernel with the LFS patch. http://www.scyld.com has a patch that
successfully applies from 2.2.12 through 2.2.17. That patch introduced
an error in fcntl processing (I submitted a patch to Scyld, and I can
provide it to you), but I don't know if they've applied it yet. The LFS
patch is stable, I've run terabytes through it.

> Then can MYSQL hold that much data with the file limitation(does it
> automatically split up files) ?

I have *read* that mysql 3.23 allows splitting large tables over
multiple files; the same source also claimed "but indexes don't work
using that mechnism." Don't know the details or correctness of this
statement.

--
David N. Lombard
MSC.Software