Re: 2GIG-file

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 13:21:21 EST

Very good question. I've wondered the same myself. The current
interface seems to assume 2GB since the sign bit is used (off_t is
defined from __kernel_off_t which is typedef'd as a 'signed long').
The base definition is in posix_types.h. Linux needs to expand this to
support filesizes up to the limit of the architeture (i.e. 4GB files).

Not to be poking fun or anyhing, but if you have a 3.4 GB file on NT, it
must be pretty fragmented, and even if you could copy it, NTFS may take
a very long time with a file of this size. My experience with files on
NTFS this large, particularly databse files, if that they get super
fragmented, and take hours or even days to copy. I am guessing you are
looking at Linux because you have a super fragmented monster file and
are getting incredibly slow access times on NT right now?

There are tools available from MS vendors for this fragmentation problem
-- email davidg@balder.com and he can point you to some great defrag
tools he wrote for MS and some of MS customers just for this huge file
fragmentation problem. Because of the way NTFS is designed, as random
access files grow to huge sizes, fragmentation can bite hard on
performance. I think you may be in an area where Linux has not caught
up to W2K and support these large files.

Dear Al, Linus, and Alan -- 2GB liit is probably something to look at
expanding in the future to support these huge SQL server database files.

:-)

Jeff