Re: ORBS Elevator...

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 11:09:57 EST

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 04:39:45PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> It's not obvious to me that the additional information will help
> performance significantly, but I'll be glad to give it a try and to run
> some benchmark to see if it helps significantly.

It would certainly be useful for speeding up fsck, if you could teach it
to run parallel on all spindles of the disk (e2fsck only knows how to
run parallel on multiple disks, and even that breaks with raid/lvm)
A generic interface to give user space information about on what parts
of a blockdevice they can run in parallel without too much seek overhead
would be very nice (I believe XFS is trying to do something similar to
optimize its IO performance)

-Andi