2.2.16, Adaptec 29160 problem

From: Matt Sherer (chaos@emerging.org)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 01:52:47 EST

Background: I'm trying to use a WDE18310 (Ultra3, Rev 1.30) with the 29160
controller. Regardless of the mode, (160, 80, 40) it causes fdisk to
segfault (building a new disklabel). I had found references to old
postings stating that this configuration worked under 2.2.13 and has
broken since, but that isn't the case, at least for me. Same result
in 2.2.13 as in 2.2.16.

I have a box running the 29160 with an Ultra2 (WD183) drive running
absolutely beautifully (doubling/tripling the performance of the poor
win2k box it replaced), so I believe this is narrowed down to a problem
with the Ultra3 drive.

Western Digital has a press release out there, stating that support
for the WDE18310 was 'integrated' into RedHat 6.0, so I'm assuming
it was working at some point, even if it isn't now. Does anyone out
there have this configuration running, and can prove me wrong? (Please,
prove to me that I'm doing something stupid.) Or, can at least point
me in the direction of a kernel that did work, so I can see what
changed in the recent revs that caused it to stop?

Please CC on any list replies - and thanks for any help offered.

--Matt Sherer