procfs maintainance (was Re: multimounting cdroms ???)

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 19:43:20 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> This is pretty much the idea behind /proc/sys and the sysctl structure
> -- one data item per file entry. It is easy to browse automatically,
> allows simple tools (e.g. shell scripts) to access it, can be trivially

$IFS. while. read. All there in shell. And sed(1) also counts as a simple
tool, IMO.

> turned into SNMP MIBs, isn't subject to stomping all over kernel memory

You want the namespace to be SNMP-controlled???

> which some proc files is want to do, and most of all, won't be

I can take care about that. Honest.

> continually messed around with like some people seems to want to do with
> /proc files all the fscking time.

Now, the last part depends on a very simple thing: not accepting BS
patches. Same can be done and will work for procfs. Fsck it, consider that
as an application for procfs maintainer. This dungpile lacks one and I've
been doing quite a bit of cleanups during the 2.3, so presumably I know a
thing or two about its guts. I'm quite serious. Linus?
                                                                Al