Re: test5-pre5 -- Output not going to VT (append="console=ttyS2,115200console=tty0").

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 15:41:42 EST

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Miles Lane wrote:

> Thanks Tigran. You are right. I have one additional
> variable/parameter pair being passed on that append line.
> The console=tty0 is the last variable/parameter pair passed.
> I'll have to boot my laptop and check to character count.
> BTW: Is that character limit documented? Is there some
> important reason why that constraint is placed on the
> length of the append line. It seems quite arbitrary and
> unnecessarily restrictive.

It is something to do with some BIOSes placing their EBDA in some exotic
place in memory. For most practical purposes, if you edit lilo.h

CL_LENGTH = 0x4e

and set it to higher value, it should work. I cc'd Werner Almesberger who
is the author of LILO so he knows better about the reasons and also if it
is going to be fixed any time soon or not.

Regards,
Tigran