Re: Direct access to hardware

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 17:06:48 EST

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Horrible hacks would be what would be required to get a firmware
> upgrade to work under Linux with the restrictions in place. I sure hope
> Andre isn't trying to convince drive makers that they can void their
> warrentee if something hits those commands the wrong way.

No, my so called "Horrible hacks" will grant/create the missing entry
points do allow "a firmware upgrade to work under Linux".

The restictions only prevent an incomplete formed command from touching
the hardware, that is all it does; meanwhile, the complete correct
interface allow one to issue all of the parts of the command to do any
task you need to do. I mean "ANY" or "UNLIMITED-POWER" over the hardware.

You should never default this new interface because it is
"UNLIMITED-POWER".

The old current one is a weaked one that can potential break something
without allowing you the entry way to go back and fix it........

A-ONE-WAY-TICKET

In order to attempt a fix, you have to dance through IOPERM/KMEM/IOPORT
to pray that the driver will not block the attempt because it will null
commands that interfere with normal operations the best it can possibley
can.

Thus the full access interface that does not exist would give you entry
protection needed to perform the task with autherized access.

So the bases that ROOT can drive anything is weakened, because the driver
has to protect itself from bogus probes. If you want to do and have the
power that belongs to ROOT back, I have to give it to you.

It is that simple.

You can break the hardware, and the driver in current form will attempt to
prevent you from fixing it because you opened the wrong door regardless
that you used a ROOT-KEY. A ROOT-KEY works best in a ROOT-DOOR, IMHO.

So I will take my leave from this discussion again, but first.....

Vender-Unique-Commands are defined as access points.
Vender-Unique-OPS are the instruction passed to the Public-Commands.
The OPS are just the instruction in the COMMAND call.

I have never ever stated I was asking to filter OPS/instruction.
Just the Commands/io-address from sending bad OPS code to the hardware.

Now lease just let this die and someday I will explain it again....
Everyone is mad at me for the wrong reasons, I want to drop my hat, Linus
tells me to get sleep, and the mis-information flys.

Linus want this stopped, so please do what he asks.........back to sleep.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy