RE: ATA/IDE thread .. WTF?!? Are you serious?

From: Evan Langlois (goth_74@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 17:23:52 EST

If I'm reading this thread correctly, we're saying that the OS will not let
you issue certain commands to the hardware even if you are root? We are
gonna cripple the OS by making sure there is software it CAN'T run, forcing
people to use DOS and Windows?

What happened to the hacker philosophy of using an OS that will let you
experiment with your hardware if you are smart (or stupid) enough to do so?

When did Linux become an OS that hand-holds the users and stops the system
admin from doing whatever he/she wants with his/her own machine? Did someone
sneak some Redmond or Apple reps in here? The idea is absurd, and I bet
windows doesn't even have this sort of "protection" (and windows 98 by
default asks if you are sure you want to browse the windows/system
directory!!)

What's next? Do we not allow X to configure the video card anymore cause it
might possibly create video modes that damage your monitor? Do we have to
reboot and use a vendor supplied utility to change video resolutions? Isn't
it the same thing? Most monitors cost more than a hard drive. And mine, no
OS vendor could ever support it - I have to use my own modedb.c to get the
framebuffer programmed into something it supports, and my own XFree modes to
make X sync. Who is gonna stop Linux from making Vesa video modes? They
will probably *FRY* my monitor. What happens when company Z introduces the
new whiz-bang gadget that plugs into an IDE port and uses one of these
outlawed instructions for its normal operation? Just boot off a floppy to
use it right? And we can change video modes to bad things then too, and
flash the drives. Hey, lets make an OS we can boot off floppy for when Linux
is too crippled to do it itself!

If someone wants to bloat the kernel by adding such "protection" thats fine,
but if it takes permission away from root to do it, you can expect I'll
remove it from my kernel (my box, my drives, my right to screw it up). I
think I'd rather have the non-executable stack patch (as futile as it is)
than anything designed to stop root from doing as he pleases.

-- Evan