Re: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 22:13:03 EST

James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> said:

[...]

> NO. They can/will use RAW_IO *IF* this is available to them. If not, they
> will have to provide a proper kernel driver for their hardware. I know
> which I prefer...

Sure. And keep that dusty 2.4.3 kernel around just in case you someday need
to upgrade the firmware for your disk, and the (binary!) kernel module only
works with that one. Don't forget the 2.4.15ac12 which is for your USB
scanner, and also the 2.6.7-12 (Red Hat) which is the only one with the
updater for the new SCSI controller.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616