Re: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread

From: Krzysztof Halasa (khc@intrepid.pm.waw.pl)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 17:25:12 EST

James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> You do all your system maintenance with the system online, serving users?!

I do, if possible. Of course. There are no options here.

> OK - supposing it's the system BIOS you just fried remotely?

I've done something like this several times. My Linuxes don't need
BIOS to work, they just need it to boot. Even with normal EPROMs rather
than flash EPROMs I was able to extract the chip, erase it with UV rays,
program using EPROM writer and then put it back. All of this with users
online (even if my Linuxes need a BIOS all the time, it's not a problem
- they would use BIOS in shadow RAM instead of the EPROM anyway).

Of course it still required a (scheduled) reboot.

With flash EPROMs I can't see any problems here (EPROMs are not
designed for hot-swap after all).

--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator