Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 08:38:48 EST

jmerkey@timpanogas.com (Jeff V. Merkey) writes:

>agree that the way they do it is an absolute hack. They allow the
>loader to detect changed APIs and insert a "forwarder" function when the
>external reference is resolved by the DLL loader -- this function
>evenually calls the real function in kernel but if it's added a
>parameter or something, it lets you slip in a forwarder function to
>fixup the stack and munge the parms if someone altered an interface.

Ah yes. This explains it. This explains almost everything.

>Something like this would allow us to go modular, and give you the
>flexibility you want, but I agree it's still going to be a f_cking
>nightmare to get this thing coordinated properly. You may want to

At this point we may be even able to compete with Windows stability
_and_ Windows performance.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Henning Schmiedehausen     "They took the credit for your second symphony.
hps@intermeta.de            Rewritten by machine and "New Technology".