Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 05:07:00 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote on 13.07.00 in <Pine.LNX.4.10.10007131501550.4354-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>:

> Note, for example, how ReiserFS has been mentioned a number of times in
> the last week on Linux-kernel. That's because reiserfs has reached the
> point where it's used by a lot of people, but it hasn't reached the point
> where it has gotten integrated yet, so while the other filesystems were
> updated to new VFS layer changes, ReiserFS missed out. So did the other
> external ones, but they tend to have a more controlled user base so far:
> ReiserFS has apparently already gotten "out".
>
> Don't get me wrong. To some degree I would _love_ to not have a large
> kernel archive. It's big, and it makes releases harder. No question about
> that. But the monolithic approach definitely has a lot of advantages.

Seems to me that maybe (part of) the solution would be maintaining a big
Linux CVS (or Bitkeeper or ...) archive somewhere.

Not necessarily maintained by Linus - he doesn't need that extra load.

The idea would be to have that archive as free of policy as possible.
Anything that could be kept in there, would, under appropriate branches
and labels.

That way, stuff that had not yet been integrated into the mainline kernel
would still be available from a central place, could be checked easily
against (proposed or actual) changes, and so on.

It's not a complete solution, of course. But it certainly should improve
the ability to keep track of stuff.

MfG Kai