Re: closefd: closes a file of any process

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 16:29:02 EST

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> Then you come up with an idea of implementing a special
> filesystem 'nullfs' where you shift the open file to, instead of closing
> it. Any subsequent io on this fd gives EIO.

Nice, because you still have the path from the dentry. So you might be
able to forcibly unmount a filesystem (e.g. on a broken network file
server) moving everything to nullfs. And then you might be able to
mount a different fs in its place and use the paths from the dentries to
convert the nullfs references back into real file references.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if it has any application.

-- Jamie