Re: Floppy handling

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 10:15:18 EST

Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > It might be reasonable to implement: (a) if any files are open, lock the
> > disk; (b) for floppies locked disk == keep the light on; (c) process
> > current directories don't count towards (a) (but open handles do).
> >
> Sounds good, especially since it avoids rewriting the mount code and half of
> the buffer cache.

I forgot (d) files opened only for reading don't keep the light on.
No need to turn it on when reading from the kernel's cache, though the
light may have to come on briefly to verify we've still got the right
disk inserted.

> All new hardware supports (a).
> (b) Is it possible to keep the light on without contact between the disk
> head and the floppy? Several of my test floppy disks died because the disk
> head was constantly scratching over one track while I was single stepping
> with a kernel debugger.

I think the head is kept in contact with the disk whenever the disk is
in the drive, but the disk doesn't spin so it doesn't wear out.

I think the motor runs whenever the light is on (just one signal
controlling both), but maybe there is a way to not do that.

It shouldn't matter too much -- normal floppy usage patterns won't
activate it anyway. If this turns out not to be true, it might be worth
stepping the head every few seconds.

Your database on ZIP disk example is fair enough, but that's a ZIP disk
not a floppy so it simply locks the door.

-- Jamie